Hello and welcome. I'm Yuka, a mama on the mend. I research, write, and share information about our postpartum bodies and experiences. Like it truly is. The good, the ugly, and the smelly. Pregnancy and childbirth are amazing feats of womanhood, but let's be real for a second. A lot happens to our bodies after growing that baby and ushering it out into the world. Our bodies need a whole lot of TLC.
Can we please talk about it? All of it?
Nothing is TMI here. Let's get into the nitty gritty realities of fecal incontinence, prolapse, itchy stitches, a heavy throbbing vagina, hair loss, overgrowth of vaginal skin (granulations), discharge, blood, other fluids, pelvic exams, and hormones, just to name a few.
This isn't another mom blog
Mama on the Mend isn't about parenting at all. It's not even about the baby (gasp!). This is a women's health and postpartum care website and resource for you. I'm just as fascinated as you are with knowing what actually happened to our bodies right after birth and beyond, and what we can do to mend our poor, awesome, tired, wilting, strong, and amazing bodies. I curate information from peer reviewed studies, researchers, health professionals, body workers, postpartum doulas, midwives, personal experience, and other mending moms like you. Read my story that inspired this website here.
C-section mamas, natural birthers, surrogates, anyone who has had a baby grow inside of her body, and those who care for these women...welcome!
Why this website?
Oh, how I struggled! Mama on the Mend is a very personal project. I was inspired by the countless “how come no one told me about this?” moments that left me feeling isolated, frustrated, and confused about my body after having a baby. I also love writing and doing research about women's health issues that don’t seem to get enough attention but are so important.
A bit about me
When I’m not doing research, writing, or attempting my pelvic PT exercises, I can be found chasing after my EXTREMELY spirited little boy or day dreaming about flourless molten chocolate cake.
If you’re dying to know more, here are five things you don’t know about me…
1. I used to be terrified of pigeons. When I was a child, they physically attacked me or died in front of me on several occasions. Now, I just hate pigeons. Like really really hate them. They’re aggressive flying rats!
2. I’m a middle child (the diplomat, the peacekeeper, sometimes the forgotten child).
3. I really love reading auto/biographies and memoirs about interesting women (including ones in comic form). Recent favorites are Yes Please!, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, Taste of Power: A Black Woman’s Story, Fun Home, and Persepolis.
4. My absolute favorite T.V. show is The Office (U.S. version). I show is on repeat in our home, no joke.
5. If I could choose a superhero power, it would be telekinesis. Definitely telekinesis.